Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I made homemade powder laundry detergent!

I've been wanting to do this for quite some time,
but was using up my store bought detergent first!

I also wanted to make sure I would like the homemade version
so I asked a friend who uses this same recipe if I could have a small bag
of hers to try it out.  Thankfully she gave me some & I really liked it!
The original recipe can be here on the Being Creative (to keep my sanity) Blog!

Please keep in mind that I am not a professional laundry-ologist,
but I do enjoy being thrifty when I can.  This recipes works for me
and my family right now and so I am sharing
it on this little blog with all 10 of my readers :) 

Read about it, ignore it, make it, try it, share it.... The choice is yours.
Please don't get angry at me if you try it and hate it,
break out in a boiling, red skin rash everywhere,
or your HE washing machine gets all "gunked-up"-
I doubt those things will happen, but...

 Supplies Needed: (I found all of these in the laundry isle at my local store)

  1. One 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz)  
  2. One 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg)
  3. One 55oz box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda   
  4. Three bars of Fels-Naptha soap  
  5. Two small containers of Oxy Clean (3.5 lbs/1.58 kg total)- She states this is optional- I only used one small container and saved the scoop to use with this new detergent!
  6. A hand held grater.
  7. One storage container- this recipe makes about 2 Gallons of detergent and I bought a large enough storage container which I also used to mix the ingredients in. 
Directions: (This took me about 20 minutes from start to finish!)
  1. Grate the bars of  Fels-Naptha soap- it really will look a like shredded cheese!  I used a hand held grater but I read you can use a food processor.  I tried to grate the soap very fine since we have an HE washing  machine.  I also read that the Fels-Naptha will dissolve in cold water.  I rarely use cold water only, but good to know just in case!
  2. Then add the other ingredients one at a time and mix, mix, mix!
  3. I mixed in the same storage container I am planning on using, but if you're not then go ahead and add it now.
  4. Use 1-2 Tablespoons per load and remember to...
  5. Smile, enjoy the perfect scent, and feel proud of yourself for being thrifty!
I spent $13 on a cute storage container which I will use over & over again.
I spent $3 on a new grater to use just for this project which I will use again.
I spent about $16 on all of the actual detergent ingredients!




This is the cute container I bought -
it came with a matching lid!
I found it in the picnic/pool area as it
is really supposed to be a drink dispencer-
I just turned it around!


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Oh that is the recipe I use also! I too use the scoop from the oxyclean to use in laundry soap!

    I use the Sun version of oxyclean which you can find at walmart or Dollar General.

    Did you buy the Fels Naptha at Walmart? That is the cheapest place I have found to purchase it in our area.

    Hope your summer has started off good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI! I love this recipe :) Yes, I found the Fels Naptha at Walmart and it was 97 cents per bar! All of the items were sitting together on the laundry shelf- how easy! Can't wait to read your blog this summer :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...