Tuesday, November 19, 2013

tornado...

Have you heard about the horrible tornado that twisted it's way through central Illinois-
destroying many areas in Washington, IL and parts of East Peoria and Pekin... 
I believe this tornado made national news even :(
It hit just a couple of miles from my house!

Sunday morning was exceptionally warm- I remember thinking that as I let our dog outside.
It seemed so nice that I even opened a few windows to let the house get some fresh air...
The rain started, then small hail, and soon enough the sirens went off (to alert us to take cover).
Well, where I live the sirens go off and I usually ignore them (isn't that horrible to admit!).
Today was no different.  I continue to sit at my dining room table eating some delicious taco soup and 
watching the clouds and rain outside.  The power went out (and stayed out for hours).  We continued to ignore the sirens.  The storm lifted and my cell phone started to ding... and ding.. and ding...
I think in the future I will start to take cover when the sirens go off!

If you've been watching the news then you know what happened. 
I've seen the news coverage too, I've seen pictures on Instagram and Facebook. 
 I keep looking at these still miniature photographs but I don't think my mind truly understands the vast destruction that took place just down the road from my house.  Until I see the devastation and destruction for myself it is hard for me to understand what my friends, co-workers, and strangers from the neighboring town are dealing with now.  I know it is heartbreaking for so many.  I cried as I watched a mother and her children hand over a lost family dog they found to animal control while the four little girls chanted "we want to keep him" at a local gas station, and they were all safe and sound. I know I will cry again when I drive through Washington for the first time since the tornado... 

Just hours after the storm the skyline was amazingly beautiful. And my friend sums this horrible experience up best by saying.... we truly serve a God who is bigger than any earthly circumstance...

Keep this area in your prayers!
Here are several links you might want to look at...

Man Reunited with Dog (photos)
Washington IL Tornado Recovery
Washington IL Tornado Recovery 

Thanksgiving Dinner for Washington/Pekin
Thanksgiving Dinner

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...