SCHOOL NURSE EMERGENCY BAG UPDATE!
My school nurse emergency bag is not actually a bag at all-
it is a BOX!
Updated School Nurse Emergency Box
For years I've wanted to update this post, and I finally took a few minutes to photograph my current emergency setup.
One surprise?
My "emergency bag" isn't actually a bag at all—it's a labeled storage box, along with a red backpack that holds our AED.
You might be thinking,
"Isn't carrying a box awkward?"
Honestly... a little!
But I've found that having everything organized, labeled, and easy to locate is worth the tradeoff. During an emergency, I don't want to waste valuable time searching for supplies.
Another unexpected bonus? The box fits perfectly on the seat of a wheelchair, which I typically take with me when responding to emergencies.
Every school nurse develops a system that works for them. This one has worked well for me for years.
What should be in a School Nurse Emergency Kit?
Every school and every district is different, so use this list as inspiration rather than a checklist. Your emergency supplies should reflect your district's policies, standing orders, available medications, and the unique needs of your student population.
I keep my emergency box on a shelf in my office so it's always ready to grab and go.
Inside, I organize supplies by category using inexpensive plastic pencil boxes with simple paper labels—no fancy label maker required! I also keep copies of any student-specific Emergency Action Plans tucked inside the appropriate supply boxes for quick reference if needed.
School Nurse Emergency Box Contents
Here's what I currently carry:
Before the Emergency Happens...
Having the right supplies is only part of being prepared.
Take a few minutes to think through what happens before, during, and after an emergency occurs at your school.
Ask yourself:
- How will I be notified of an emergency?
- Who else responds, and what are their responsibilities?
- What happens in my health office while I'm away?
- Who calls 911 if needed?
- Who contacts the student's family?
- Who documents the incident and updates attendance?
- Where are our emergency medications and AEDs located?
Running through these scenarios ahead of time can help you respond more confidently when an emergency does occur.
Know Your Policies
Many of the emergency medications and supplies listed above require standing orders or must follow district-specific policies.
Be sure you understand your state's Nurse Practice Act, your district's procedures, and any standing orders that apply to your role before adding medications to your emergency kit.
Hang tight for another update—in about eight years or so!
Hang tight for another update—in about eight years or so!
Looking for More Emergency Bag Ideas?
This isn't my first emergency bag post!
You can also check out these posts:
New to School Nursing?
Emergency preparedness is just one of many skills you'll develop during your first year as a school nurse. This article is one of the topics featured in my Ten Hot Topics: New School Nurse Guide, a practical resource designed to help new school nurses build confidence during their first year.
Inside you'll find guidance on ten of the most common topics school nurses encounter, including:
✔ Student office visits
✔ Emergency preparedness
✔ Student health requirements
✔ Communication
✔ Medications
✔ Health screenings
✔ Organization
✔ Special services
…and more.
If you're just getting started in school nursing, this guide brings everything together in one convenient resource with practical tips and direct links to additional articles and tools.
👉 Learn more about the Ten Hot Topics: New School Nurse Guide


.png)





.png)

As far as the EAP's, are they for students or just general EAPs? If student EAP's do you carry their rescue medications or just use what you have with you?
ReplyDelete